Online work and businesses are very common nowadays. People have seen and found many new opportunities to generate income using the internet. Some have even made online businesses their main source of income while others use it as their part time business or job. In order to make your online business successful, you need to have a well-developed website. Not only is a great website necessary to make a great customer experience but it is also necessary to attract new customers; people are more likely to shop from a well-designed website as opposed to something that looks like it was created by a 5th grader. In addition, this is also where you can say what you can do for your clients. In other words, all the information you want relayed to your customers can be seen in your website. Here are some great tips that you can use to have that truly effective website for your business.
1. Keep in mind that appearance of the website is important to attract visitors and possible clients. However, it is no good for your website to be designed by the greatest professional out there if no one will see it. For this reason, it is important to register your site with major search engines. Although eventually the primary search engine bots or spiders should crawl your site and index it, it will be a lot faster if you personally tell Google, Yahoo, and Bing that your site is up and running.
Give it a few weeks and then check to see that your site has been indexed. I find that the best way to perform this is to download and install the Google toolbar, visit your page, and select the Cached Snaphost of Page option in the PageRank menu. Once you see your page left click on “text only version” to see how the spiders see your site. The more text you see displayed on the cached text only version the better.
2. Install Google Webmaster tools and Google Analytics. Both of these services give you website feedback and errors. Furthermore, Google Webmaster tools allows you to submit a sitemap of your website letting Google know where all the pages for yours site may be found.
3. Keep in mind that content that you put in your website can attract visitors to your site. So, keep the content interesting, informative and more importantly, original. Do not copy the content or articles from other sites. This will be unhealthy for the online business industry. And besides, some people may have already read the article and will not be attracted to do business with you.
4. It is important to use the Google keyword tool. This tool is part of Google AdWords (not to worry, no AdWords account is actually needed to use the tool). The keyword tool allows any user to see what other people are searching for in Google and how popular the search is.
5. If you are choosing a new domain always include the keywords that your site is targeting. This will be easier for visitors to know what your business is all about. Instead of letting others know what your business name is, let them know what you are really offering through the keywords that you use in your site. It is more important to get possible clients than to let others know your business name. In addition, this is also Search Engine Friendly and should help you rank better for the keywords you are targeting.
BONUS: Here is a bonus tip for local business; use tools like Google Places, Yahoo! Local and Bing Local. These will help you reach a wider range of possible clients by easily getting on the 1st page of search engine results for local searches. More and more people are turning to the internet to find local business vs. the Yellow Pages.
SEO and other online skills are needed to make a business prosper through the website that you create for your online business. Do not just focus on the products or the services that you are offering. Also do an effort to make your business website as efficient and interesting as possible for you to generate the income that you want from it.